Image Map

Thursday, March 14, 2013

I remember it - "All Too Well"



She's no Donna Summers, 
but some of Taylor Swift's stuff is LEGIT.

I am a big fan of lyrics,
and I think this is her bait with me.

A lot of it is poetic, whether or not
you agree with her bringing attention
to her failed relationships
through songs like "Dear John"
(i.e John Mayer - like his music, but guy is a douche. 
Excuse my [unladylike] French.
He deserved a dose of his own medicine.)
she can write music,
which is more than I can say
about a lot of mainstream artists these days.

While, I like her older stuff
better than the new,
"All Too Well" 
is one of my favorite tracks 
from her newest album.

Here is the song -
along with the lyrics 
for you to follow along
and see if it merits any credibility
or musical worthiness as I've suggested.... 

Just listen, then we'll chat: 

Lyrics: 

I walked through the door with you
The air was cold but something 'bout it 
felt like home somehow and I
Left my scarf there at your sister's house
And you still got it in your drawer even now...

Oh, your sweet disposition
And my wide-eyed gaze
We're singing in a car getting lost Upstate
Autumn leaves falling down like pieces into place
And I can picture it after all these days
And I know it's long gone, 
and that magic's not here no more
And it might be okay, but I'm not fine at all...

Cause here we are again on that little town street
You almost ran the red --
cause you were looking over at me
Wind in my hair, I was there, I remember it all too well

Photo album on the counter,
Your cheeks were turning red
You used to be a little kid with glasses in a twin-sized bed
And your mother's telling stories 'bout you
 on the t-ball team...
You tell me about your past thinking your future was me

And I know it's long gone,

 and there was nothing else I could do
And I forget about you long enough
 to forget why I needed to --
Cause here we are again in the middle of the night

We're dancing round the kitchen in the refrigerator light
Down the stairs, I was there, I remember it all too well


Yeah, and maybe we got lost in translation
Maybe I asked for too much
But maybe this thing was a masterpiece
´til you tore it all up
Running scared, I was there, I remember it all too well

Hey you called me up again 

just to break me like a promise
So casually cruel in the name of being honest
I'm a crumbled up piece of paper lying here --
Cause I remember it all all all too well

Time won't fly it's like I'm paralyzed by
 it
I'd like to be my old self again
But I'm still trying to find it
After plaid shirt days and nights 
when you made me your own
Now you mail back my things and I walk home alone
But you keep my old scarf from that very first week
Cause it reminds you of innocence 
and it smells like me
You can't get rid of it, 
cause you remember it all too well... Yeah

Cause there we are again when I loved you so

Back before you lost the one
 real thing you've ever known
It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well
Wind in my hair, you were there, you remember it all

Down the stairs, you were there, you remember it all
It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well...
_______________________
I get chills every time I listen to that song.
You know how a song can just
bring you back to a time and a place?
It's like I can feel her loss and confusion
in the more emotional parts of the song.
It just resonates with me.

I also think she is a good song writer.
If she wasn't so annoying 
(I don't find her to be, but I think this
is the complaint I most often hear about her
when I say I don't mind a lot of her music)
I think people would really appreciate
her songs more.

Listen to "Red" if 
you want a clever take on
merging emotions in colors.
[Burning] red (as she sings about 
and is the song title's namesake)
is about love- passion- anger.
And sometimes there is a very thin
line between those.

What songs resonate with you? 
- you know, bring you back to a certain time and place,
instantly transport you from the room you're standing in 
and bring you back to that moment?

Everyone has at least ONE.

I'm a huge music aficionado
and would love to hear from you...

xo
Rach

2 comments:

Whatcha thinkin?