Image Map

Saturday, March 26, 2016

Lavender Honey Popsicles + a (funny) 'lavender' story

From Rachel's Kitchen:

I had some cooking lavender left and felt inspired to do
a lavender rendition of popsicles in my Zoku pop maker
(this thing is the best!)

Quick funny side story and then on to the recipe...

I thought the pops turned out delicious 
and sent Mom what I deemed a lovely photo of one,
which you can see below.


She replied (via text)
"Eww, looks like bugs!"
When I responded "What?! That's not nice!!!"
She replied, "Nooo, remember what Dad said about your lavender soap?"
...and ofcourse I instantly started laughing
because it brought a really funny story flooding back!
(P.S She's got a good memory because I didn't know what she 
was talking about at first.)

The Cliff Notes version is my dad was staying over my apartment one summer. 
He wanted to wash up before dinner and took a shower while I 
finished preparing dinner.
He comes out in a towel and I asked "How was your shower?"
He goes "It was nice, but you had some bugs on your soap!"
I was preoccupied cooking so it took a second to sink in.
I finally process what he said and look at him with a puzzled face.

Me: Bugs?
Dad: Yeah, you had these little bugs on your soap.
Don't worry, I scraped them off for you!
Me (laughing): WHAT?! What bugs?!
Dad: Seriously. 
Me: Dad, what are you talking about?
Dad: C'mere, I'll show you!

[Proceeds to lead me into the bathroom and grabs my soap 
from the shower caddy.]

He proudly presents my soap like a trophy,
with these deep nail divots throughout
(where he "scraped the bugs off") --
like he saved me from some disgusting fate
during my next shower.

Me: [Looks of horror]
"Dad, what did you do to my soap?"
Dad: There were bugs stuck all over the top.
I got them off for you!
Me: Dad! Those weren't bugs, they were lavender petals.
I just bought that French lavender soap at a fancy shop 
in the Hamptons! You ruined it!
Dad: Oops. Sorry they looked like bugs!
...I guess I owe you a new one?

[End Scene]

Can't believe my Mom remembered that...
but that story will definitely go down as a classic.
The time my Dad destroyed my lavender soap
because it had 'bugs all over it'.

MEN: Stick to what you know
(and a lavender soap might be saved!)

Well, as you can imagine - I won't be offering him
any of my lavender popsicles!

Here's the recipe: Yields 4 Pops
  • 1 TBSP cooking lavender (purchase at health food store)
  • 1 Cup Milk (2% - but whole or half/half is better)
  • 2 TSP fresh honey (wildflower is best, but clover will do)
  • 1 Cup (Honey or Plain Flavored Greek Yogurt)
  • Lavender Petals (for garnish only)
  • Red + Blue Food Dye (to make purple - just 1 drop of each should do!)
  • Strainer
  1. Heat one cup of milk with the cooking lavender. You can use a tea diffuser or just leave the lavender floating in the milk and then strain it out. Do not let boil, just continue stirring until heated through. Take off burner and let lavender steep for 5 minutes to create a "lavender milk".
  2. Strain lavender out and whisk in honey until liquified. Add food coloring (I didn't have blue so I used more red and less green dye and it didn't turn out half bad! Improvise people!) Let cool in either a refrigerator for 20 min or a freezer for 10 min. 
  3. Once cool, stir in Greek yogurt to give a thicker consistency. I suggest stirring in yogurt a little at a time to make sure it doesn't become too thick that its not pourable into the mold.
  4. Pour into Zoku maker and freeze for 15 minutes - remove using pop remover tool and store in Zoku pop case. Add remaining mixture to one additional mold and freeze another 15 minutes.

You can obviously use other popsicle molds, I just know they take way longer to freeze.

You may also be wondering why if I have a 3 pop maker, 
why I don't fill the additional 2 molds on the second round to make 6!

 The reason is its just my roommate and I and we like to have 1 or 2 each,
and then move on to a new flavor...
however if you have friends over or kids, make as many as you like!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?