Image Map

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Mad [Beauty] Scientist: Magical Body Butter



What's so magical about it, my little skeptics?
I MADE IT!
It's homemade...
 and that just MAKES it better by default.

I found this recipe for Body Butter last week
 and I was intrigued.

However, the part with the zest
not rubbing in and having to brush it off after?
Nah. I'm not down with that.

I don't want to work for my body butter...
I want my body butter to work for ME,
so I doctored up the recipe a bit and it worked.
I felt like a mad scientist,
on the cutting edge of a new discovery,
going where no beauty scientist had gone before.
Beauty is madness!

Here is the recipe, but feel free
to experiment with your own proportions.

Rachel's Honey Almond
 Beauty Body Butter

Ingredients:
2 Parts Shea Butter 
1 Part Coconut Oil
Almond Essential Oil (or a scent of your choice)
Honey



Directions:
  1. Add 2 parts raw shea butter (you can find this at a health food store - I found mine at Sherry's in Babylon, but I'm sure Whole Foods or Trader Joe's stocks it as well) to 1 part Organic Coconut Oil to a large mixing bowl. I found the coconut oil to be a bit greasy (it IS an OIL!), so I added more shea to stabilize it and thicken it up a bit. Feel free to substitute cocoa butter, but be aware cocoa butter has a strong chocolate smell and so it probably won't play nice with any essential oil you might want to add (lavender, green tea, etc)
  2. Add a teaspoon of honey to the bowl. Mix with an electric mixer on low for 1 minute or until ingredients are thoroughly combined. 
  3. Finally, add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Remember, coconut oil already has a distinct coconut smell - so you'll want to keep that in mind when choosing a scent for your body butter. Something tropical would be nice!
  4. When finished mixing, add your body butter to your favorite jar (I found this one at Michael's for $4.99) and store close to your shower for easy access.





I try and moisturize fresh out of the shower

when my pores are wide open
and most welcoming to salves.
(I hope thats the right word.
It felt natural as I typed it out.)

Body Butter is the best
because its thick, 
usually its made with the heavy hitters
(you know my friends Shea & Cocoa?)
and it has staying power.

So lather up, 
and keep it classy. ;)


xo,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?