Image Map

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Emerald Isle - My Itinerary


In two days I leave the protective walls of my home in the U.S
and hop aboard a plane bound for Dublin, Ireland.
I LOVE traveling; I DON'T love flying.
So I am hoping this is a quick, smooth flight,
that my sleeping pill serves its purpose[!]
(I am sure the martini bar will aid and abet in this plight),
and that this is not my last will and testament. LOL
(not funny, so I assure you thats a nervous laugh)

Hoping for a little Irish luck in this department.
A nice, safe flight please.


With my departure imminent,
(Where in the hell is my suitcase? It shipped days ago!


Cute right? Now if it would just GET HERE so I can pack
all the things I've laid out for my trip)
I thought it would be fun to fill you in on my itinerary
so that while you rot in your office,
you can dream of all the amazing places I am!
(Kidding!)

I am sure the Irish castles I'll be touring
won't be that, THAT fabulous.
(See, now you feel better!)


My Ireland Itinerary:
  •  Friday, March 22, 2013: Depart from the U.S.A (Goodbye motherland!)
  • Saturday, March 23, 2013: Arrive in the Emerald Isle (Ahh, that just has a nice ring to it!) The remainder of the day is free to unpack and relax. Why not wander across St. Stephen's Green to Grafton Street? You may hear buskers playing traditional Irish music (How fun!)
  • Sunday, March 24, 2013: Sightseeing shows you statue-filled O'Connell Street, St. Patrick's Cathedral. Also included is a visit to Trinity College and the Book of Kells, Ireland's most richly decorated medieval illuminated manuscript. In the afternoon you have time to explore the Temple  Bar section of Dublin. Situated near the Liffey and the Ha' Penny Bridge. Temple Bar boasts cafes, galleries, and trendy shops.
  • Monday, March 25, 2013: Journey across the Irish Sea to Wales. You travel through North Wales to the Lake District, where you will spend the night. Comprised of 16 lakes, the area is incredibly beautiful and mystical.
  • Tuesday, March 26, 2013: Begin your morning by visiting the village of Grasmere, a favorite among Lake poets. Wordsworth lived in Dove Cottage and is buried at the local church. Continue North for an experience in Scottish cultural history at Gretna Green where you'll step back in time as you participate in a traditional wedding reenactment. The notice how the countryside gets more rugged and mountainous as you travel to Scotland's capital city, Edinburgh.
  • Wednesday, March 27th, 2013: Sightseeing shows you Princes Street, Charlotte Square, and Edinburgh Castle, perched high in the old town. The afternoon is free to indulge in local literacy history at the Writer's Museum or shop for souvenirs: woolens, tartans, and sheepskins are an especially good value. In the evening test your nerves during a ghost tour and treasure hunt of the Old Town. Stick close to your guide who brings to life haunting stories of the city's past, both above the streets and in the vaults below, and then work in groups to solve riddles they present.
  • Thursday, March 28th, 2013: Start the day by traveling to Hadrian's Wall, the northernmost outpost of Roman Britain and the means by which the Romans kept out marauding tribes. Continue on to the walled city of York and visit York Minster.
  • Friday, March 29th, 2013: This morning journey to London via Hampton Court. Formerly a royal residence and favorite of Henry VIII, visit the Tudor kitchens and the haunted gallery before wandering through the extensive grounds and hedge maze.
  • Saturday, March 30th, 2013: A local guide takes you inside St. Paul's Cathedral, and shows you Trafalgar Square and the Houses of Parliament on your morning sightseeing tour. Then head to Covent Garden for an English food tasting. Sample and learn the history behind traditional dishes such as game pie and Trinity cream before enjoying a classic English lunch (Sounds lovely!) This afternoon is free to explore more of London at your own pace.
  • Sunday, March 31, 2013:  Depart for U.S.A (Goodbye Great Britain!)

So that's that. 

I absolutely adore our tour guide, Stan.
We had him two years ago on my last trip to London
and he is the absolute best.
He's the most lovely British man I've ever met -
so jolly, very articulate, extremely knowledgeable 
and has the most precious British accent!

And, this trip is all girls! 
I have my little posse coming with -
Mrs. Dance (I'm obsessed with Lisa!)
and my other accomplice, my Mum. 

Onward!



xo,
Your Irish Princess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?