Image Map

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

when life hands you lemons, make lemonade.

They are pretty good! :) So the other day I am cleaning up my apartment and realized I had Remove Formatting from selection4 overly ripe lemons sitting in a bowl in my windowsill. My boyfriend had ran up to the grocery store to grab some things and bought them for me because my throat was hurting and I sometimes like to add lemon & honey to my tea. In any case, out of sight, out of mind. We forgot they were there. I started sorting through my cookbooks looking for lemon recipes but wasn't overly excited with anything I found. I sent an SOS out on Facebook, calling all lemonheads to find out what to do with these things and I got some pretty good suggestions! Most of you went with the old standby: when life hands you lemons, make lemonade! I'm not gonna knock lemonade. Its simple. Easy to make. Thirst quenching. Deliciously tart! I wanted to put a new spin on traditional lemonade so I started adding a little of this, a little of that and the following it what I came up with. Enjoy! -Rach
Rachel's Fruity Lemonade
Ingrediants: 3 ripes lemons (quartered) 1 pitcher 6 cups of water (3 lukewarm, 3 cold) 4 tbsps Sugar (or to taste) 1 container Fresh Raspberries 1/2 cup Smucker's Strawberry Preserves. Directions: Squeeze the juice of 3 ripes lemons (quartered and pitted) into a pitcher. After doing this, add your sugar and 3 cups warm water and stir. I left a few chunks of leftover lemon rind floating in my pitcher of lemonade. Once your sugar has dissolved, add the 1/2 cups of Smucker's Strawberry Preserves. This stuff is naturally gooey and sweet, so dont add extra sugar till you add in your preserves and have a taste. I used a whisk for the preserves which worked well (feel free to use any preserves - strawberry is just made my favorite). At this point you can add your cooled water and BAM- you have strawberry lemonade. This is delicious on its own, but I took it a step further and added a container of fresh raspberries. Muddle them with a little bit of sugar and warm water in either a cup or small bowl. Add them to your pitcher for my rendition of "Fruity Lemonade." Oh and for my observational crowd out there who is scratching their heads right now and saying "Hmm, she said she had 4 lemons and that recipe only called for 3 - what could she possibly have done with that extra lemon?" I made lemon chicken! (Brown 4 chicken breasts dipped in flour and lemon pepper in some butter. In a seperate pan, take the juice of one lemon, 1 cup of white wine, 1 tsp garlic, dash of flour (to thicken) 1 tbsp. butter, salt & pepper for your lemon wine butter sauce.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?