Image Map

Monday, April 8, 2013

Healthy Snack Attack


With the warmer weather approaching, it's running season for me.
But the more I seem to work out - the hungrier I am.
While I don't stock my pantry with anything too tempting 
to pig out on - I do need to feed my calorie starved body...
so in my quest to find healthy snacks,
I decided to come up with a few of my own.

Here are two from this week - focused on my potassium rich friend,
the BANANA! :)


*Homemade Banana Chips *
* Banana Smoothie *

Read on for RECIPES:

Banana Chips - 
Not terribly hard to make, but I've done a few batches and learned
a few lessons along the way - so listen up.

Stuff You'll Need:
1. Bananas 
2. Cinnamon/Brown Sugar (Or both if you're feeling feisty)
3. Silpat Mat (I've heard these work wonders!) or Parchment Paper - 
Don't try a non-stick baking sheet because it doesn't work! 
4. Lemon
5. Honey (For Drizzle Post Baking)
6. Basting Brush

Directions: 
1. Preheat your oven to 175 degrees. Slice bananas fairly thin (1/4" - 1/8") - I used about 2 bananas in this batch.
2. Using your basting brush, lightly baste your banana slices with some lemon juice you've squeezed in a bowl. The lemon will keep the bananas moist and prevent them from turning brown in the heat.
3. Spread your banana slices out on parchment paper and let them cook slowly in the oven for 2-3 hours - checking them every 30 minutes. Cooking them slowly at this temperature will prevent them from burning. I also turned mine a few times to get them evenly crisp on both sides.
4. About 20 minutes before you decide they are ready to come out, lightly dust them in some cinnamon and brown sugar. (Lightly I said - don't drench them or they no longer are a healthy snack!)
5. Let them cool a bit before you try and move them to a plate. Drizzle with honey and enjoy! :)

Slice up your bananas. 

Move to a plate after 5-10 minutes of cooling post baking.

Drizzle lightly in honey, crunch, and enjoy! :)


Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie:

Ok, this I love because I am always
STARVING after a long run and you
can make one of these in less than 5 minutes,
which is likely all I have patience for at that point.

Stuff You'll Need:
1. Blender
2. Mason Jar and a Cute Straw (why not?)
3. (1) Ripe Banana
4. (1) TBSP Peanut Butter
5. 1/2- 1 Cup Milk [Soy Milk/Coconut Milk/Almond Milk] More milk for thinner smoothies, less milk for thicker ones. 
6. A few ice cubes

Directions:
1. Now for the fun part - throw all the ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth and enjoy! 



More snacks to come :)

NEXT UP: Homemade Green Tea Latte

xo,
Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatcha thinkin?